- This event has passed.
Accessible Study Space
November 6, 2017 @ 8:00 am - November 10, 2017 @ 8:00 pm
The ECU Disability Collective, in collaboration with the ECU Student Guild, is facilitating an Accessible Study Space for Study Week before the formal exam period.
Monday 6th November
Friday 10th November
A room from 8AM to 8PM throughout the week will be set aside as a space intended for students with disabilities and accessibility requirements to study.
It provides students with a quiet place to take medications, utilise the resources made available in these rooms and to get away from the hustle and bustle of the e-labs.
A few resources will be made available to use in the space only, such as:
– Eye Lighters (to make reading from textbooks easier)
– Fidget Cubes (to busy your hands with)
– Noise Cancelling Earmuffs (to provide sensory relief)
– Darkened Protective Eyewear (to provide sensory relief)
– Bouncy Bands (on the legs of a chair, to apply pressure with feet)
– Ergonomic Pens
– Pen holders (to provide relief from holding standard pens)
– & hopefully more!
1. We recognise that we cannot accommodate for every accessibility need, but we welcome suggestions for improvements and hopefully, we can make this become a permanent fixture at ECU.
2. We implore students to share the limited resources equitably and be courteous of one another. Recognise that it is an adult learning environment and consideration of others is assumed.
3. By using the space, you agree that the provided resources will not leave the space and that you accept full liability for the safe usage of the resources.
4. We ask that you supply your own study materials e.g. laptops, assistive technologies, tablets, paper etc. – some generic resources may be available.
5. You accept that space is only for the use of students with disabilities and accessibility requirements, and their carers/support people, and you will respect the confidentiality of those using the space.
The rooms are as follows:
6th November – 10th November
Mount Lawley Campus
6th November – 8th Nov
9th Nov – 10th Nov
South West (Bunbury) Campus
6th Nov – 10th Nov
Accessibility maps will be provided in A3 in each room to enable you to navigate the campus more easily. For digital versions of the accessibility maps, as well as interactive ones to help you find the specific rooms, go here:
Feel free to message the ECU Disability Collective if you have any queries, or if you are interested in helping facilitate the Collective in the near future – we are looking for new committee members!